At Thorong Phedi, on the Annapurna Circuit, there's a good reason to consider walking a little farther. High Camp is another climb uphill, and staying there means starting closer to Thorong La Pass the following morning.
Now, imagine you've reached Phedi with some energy left. You're feeling good, there's still daylight, and tomorrow promises a long crossing. Why not continue and save yourself some climbing?
I can understand that thinking. Sometimes continuing farther does make sense.
But my first question would be something else.
Where did we sleep last night?
You might wonder what yesterday has to do with choosing tonight's lodge. Quite a lot, actually.
When deciding where to stop, I look at the altitude we've already gained, how the group is doing, what tomorrow's trail demands, and whether we have reasonable alternatives if something changes.
Let's take the choice between Phedi and High Camp.
Why Last Night's Altitude Matters
Suppose we slept at Yak Kharka the other day, at around 4,050 metres.
Thorong Phedi is roughly 4,500 metres, while High Camp sits at approximately 4,880 metres.
Stopping at Phedi would mean gaining about 450 metres in sleeping altitude. Continuing directly to High Camp would increase that gain to more than 800 metres.
That's quite a difference for what might seem like a relatively short additional climb.
Above 3,000 metres, I generally try to limit the increase in sleeping altitude to 500 metres per day, with additional days for acclimatization.
Now, I don't expect trekkers to keep calculating elevation gains throughout the day. But there's something worth remembering.
You may have enough energy to walk higher but that doesn't necessarily mean your body is ready to sleep there.
You might feel perfectly fine when you arrive. No headache, no unusual tiredness, nothing particularly concerning.
That's encouraging, of course. But altitude illness doesn't always appear while you're walking. Symptoms can develop several hours after reaching a new elevation, sometimes during the night.
So I wouldn't judge the decision by how energetic everyone seems at Phedi.
I'd want to know how the group has acclimatized over the previous days, whether anyone is feeling unwell, and how much sleeping altitude we've already gained.
If someone has symptoms of altitude illness, going higher to sleep is inappropriate. Worsening symptoms require prompt attention and may mean descending rather than continuing.
Does that make High Camp unsuitable for everyone? No. Previous acclimatization and individual circumstances matter here.
But shortening tomorrow's climb isn't enough reason on its own to sleep several hundred metres higher tonight.
Tomorrow's Walk Doesn't End at Thorong La
I want you to understand that I am using Thorong La as a general example. You can use this example wherever applicable.
Moving to the topic, let's look at the other side of that decision.
Staying at High Camp means less climbing to reach Thorong La, at 5,416 metres. No doubt that is an advantage.
But reaching the pass isn't the end of the day.
There's still a long descent toward Muktinath.
After hours of walking at high altitude, descending on tired legs can be demanding. The group still needs enough energy and concentration to manage the terrain beyond the pass.
This is where walking-hour estimates can be misleading.
An extra hour of climbing at high altitude isn't the same as an hour on a gentle valley trail. And a long descent after a demanding ascent brings its own difficulties.
The weather matters too. Starting closer to the pass may reduce the morning approach, but it doesn't make unfavorable conditions suitable for crossing.
So when comparing Phedi and High Camp, I wouldn't look only at how quickly we could reach the pass.
I'd think about the entire crossing day.
A higher overnight stop may make one part of tomorrow easier while making tonight more demanding. The important question is whether that trade-off makes sense for the group.
Sometimes I Need to Decide Before We Reach the Next Village
Here's something that isn't always obvious from a trekking itinerary.
The most important stopping decision may come while we still have a suitable place to stay, not when we finally reach the village written on the schedule.
Imagine we're approaching a settlement with accommodation available. There's another village farther ahead, and that's where we originally planned to spend the night.
We could continue. But before committing to the next section, I'd want to understand how everyone is progressing.
Has our pace changed during the climb? Are breaks becoming longer? Is someone finding the ascent more difficult than earlier in the day?
One slow stretch doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. People walk at different speeds, and mountain terrain naturally changes the pace.
But if progress has been consistently slower than expected, I wouldn't assume the remaining distance will take the time suggested in the itinerary.
There's also the condition of the entire trekking party to consider, including guides and porters. The fastest walker doesn't determine how long the group needs to reach the next settlement.
And then comes another question.
What happens if we leave this village and can't comfortably reach the next one?
On some routes, another lodge may be relatively close. Elsewhere, passing a suitable stopping point could mean committing to several more hours of walking.
The answer may depend on local information, too. Other guides or lodge owners may know whether accommodation is available farther ahead or whether conditions have changed along the route.
I'd rather consider these things while we still have reasonable choices.
Once we've passed the settlement, those choices may be harder to recover.
Reaching the lodge isn't quite the end of the day
After a tiring day, a comfortable room seems like a mother's embrace. But as guide, I still have many things to consider in terms of safety, comfort, and experience of our clients.
First, choosing the village comes before choosing the lodge.
I'd want the overnight location to make sense first. Then we can decide which available accommodation meets our needs.
I look at the terrain where it lies and depending upon the conditions, I also closely consider nearby slopes, streams, or exposed approaches.
And the lodge itself must be suitable, too. I look at its location in the village, the buildings surrounding it, and the facilities that would be available to us. I believe that a hard day should be properly rewarded at the end of it.
But still, there are things to arrange.
Everyone needs suitable accommodation, food, safe drinking water, and time to rest. Guides and porters need proper arrangements too. If someone is unwell, that needs attention.
Practically speaking, a nicer room farther uphill isn't much of an advantage if reaching it makes the day's plan less appropriate. Not that there is much of a difference in choice in the mountains.
What Would Make Me Change the Planned Overnight Stop?
From my experience, not every unexpected difficulty requires the same decision.
If the group is simply moving more slowly than expected, I would reassess the remaining distance, daylight, and available stopping points.
If someone is showing symptoms of altitude illness, that's a different matter. Continuing to a higher sleeping altitude is never appropriate, even when the next lodge is close. Worsening symptoms require descent and might call for urgent medical assessment.
And if conditions ahead make tomorrow's crossing unsuitable, moving closer to the pass doesn't solve the problem. We may need to wait or change the route.
These situations call for different responses.
Sometimes stopping earlier makes sense. Sometimes another acclimatization night is appropriate. Sometimes the original objective needs to be postponed. In rare occasions, aborting the trek becomes the only alternative.
That's why I wouldn't want to continue simply because a particular village was written into the itinerary weeks earlier.
The plan was prepared using the information available at that time. Once we're on the trail, we have more information to work with.
The overnight decision should reflect that.
What I'd Like You to Notice in Your Trekking Itinerary
When you're planning a trek, pay attention to where each day ends, not only how many hours you'll walk.
I completely understand if you wonder why the itinerary doesn't continue to the next village when you see a short trekking day.
But think of the possibilities: perhaps the additional climb would mean too much sleeping-altitude gain or maybe the shorter day allows more time for acclimatization before a demanding crossing.
What I mean to say is that there may be a good reason that isn't obvious from the schedule.
So when you are in a trek there are three particular questions that I recommend discussing with your guide.
Why are we spending the night at this particular elevation?
Look at the previous night's sleeping altitude and how the route allows time for acclimatization.
What does tomorrow involve?
Consider the full journey, including the terrain beyond the main pass or viewpoint.
What happens if we can't reach the planned overnight destination?
Some routes offer several alternatives. Others have very few. It's worth knowing where the itinerary allows flexibility.
And one more thing: if you're unusually tired or feeling unwell during the trek, say something. Don't hide it because you're worried about delaying the group.
Knowing how you're actually feeling helps us make better decisions.
A Good Day Doesn't Always Mean Walking Farther
I understand the satisfaction of reaching a village you've been looking forward to. After all, covering more ground feels like a successful day to us. Even to me.
But there will be times when stopping earlier makes more sense, even if everyone still has some energy left.
When choosing where to spend the night, I want that place to work for the group and for the journey ahead.
Well, I guess that's it for this topic. I hope it helped you get some ideas about the topic.
